10.3.16

Integration in a two wheel society



Time flies as always.
Despite the persistent grey sky, I have learned the, what I call, Danish optimism. "Almost sunny" is just as good as sunny, and "almost a good deal" makes me feel like the winner in the most ridiculous situations.

It is not easy to find words to describe the contrasting feeling you get while living in Copenhagen.

On the one hand this city is disgustingly sterile. In specific occasions I swear I can almost feel a smell of chlorine in the air. Think of the uncomfortable feeling you get in a hospital, where everyone wears a poker-face and the awkward silence within white walls makes you anxious. Some sort of humble perfection is the local aspiration. Rule is a rule and no exceptions are ever considered.

On the other hand - pure anarchy. If there is one nation in the world that does not give a damn, it`s Danes. Society here behaves exactly the way they dress - it`s mostly black or white. Or both. Designer clothes and heavily gelled hair during the day and a Miley Cyrus style fiesta with no boundaries during the night. 
But somewhere there in-between the Iceberg stiffness and monotone colour palette there is a vibrant city full of people riding bicycles, chasing ambitions and melting down in front of different internationals who have chosen to live here and love Copenhagen as their own hometown. The struggle of integration is real, but deep inside I feel it`s going to be worth it. 

After 4 years on the coast of Mediterranean it is definitely a culture shock for me although I come from a very similar background. Building relationship and getting to know people is moderately challenging, but despite that it also feels like this city is full of opportunities to grow and develop. 

Copenhagen trough my eyes is a very hype and active place that strictly follows its values and stands strong against most influences from outside.  
Most probably I should just stop comparing Denmark with other places I have lived. You can`t squeeze a lemon juice out of apple and I can only blame myself for trying. Instead it`s time to learn how to make a damn good lemonade from the ingredients that are on the table.

Nav komentāru:

Ierakstīt komentāru